Note: The Leasing Company must provide the Company Federal Identification Number and month of incorporation to the Lessee in order to license the vehicle currently being leased in the State of Kentucky
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- The original out-of-state title must be sent from the Leasing Company to our office. If there is a lien on the vehicle, a release of title is requested through our Letter, which may be obtained at the Daviess County Clerk’s Office. Our office will file a lien on the new Kentucky title.
- A Power of Attorney must be sent from the Leasing Company stating the Lessee’s name as P.O.A. in order for the Lessee to sign any documentation for the Leasing Company. If multiple names are listed on the P.O.A. from the leasing company all signatures must be notarized on the necessary paperwork.
- When registering an out-of-state lease vehicle, Kentucky proof of insurance is required.
- A Sheriff’s Inspection is required on all out-of-state leased vehicles with the exception of leased vehicles on the U-Drive-It program.
- The Lessee must present the vehicle and a photocopy of the title to the Sheriff’s Department. (Our office will provide a copy of the title when the original is received from the leasing company.) The fee is $5.00, payable by check, cash, or credit card. Note: If you have a U-Drive-It Permit, no certified Sheriff’s Inspection is necessary.
The Leasing Company will be given credit for all state sales usage tax paid to another state. Any remaining difference must be paid at the time of registration in the State of Kentucky.
When registering a “brand new” vehicle in Kentucky, it is necessary for you to complete the Total Consideration section on the Application for Title/Registration (TC 96-182), attesting to the purchase price of the vehicle. This application (TC 96-182) must be signed and notarized by both the seller and the buyer (Leasing Company).
If the seller is unable to sign the application, it is necessary for you to present the window sticker or factory invoice stating the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of the vehicle, including options and destination charges.
Note: In the case that your Leasing Company is registering your vehicle under the U-Drive-It program, you will not need to present a statement of sales usage tax paid because we will not be collecting usage tax at time of registration. Please be sure that you obtain the U-Drive-It number from your Leasing Company. Further information on U-Drive-It can be obtained by calling your Leasing Company or (270) 685-8434 Ext 1.
The fee required for the Application of Title is $9.00. The annual license fee is $21.00. A pro-rated charge is based on the owner’s birth month. A lien filing fee is $22.00. There is a $2.00 fee for each required notarization. Accepted methods of payment are cash, money order, Visa/MasterCard/Discover or personal check.
Out-of-state checks are not accepted. A valid Kentucky Driver’s License is required for notarization and/or acceptance of personal checks.