Instructions for Repossessions
Note: The repossession transfer must take place in the county of record where the lien is filed.
The following forms are needed to complete the transfer:
- Repo affidavit (TC 96-192)
- A lien release (TC 96-187)
- Application for title (TC 96-182)
- License plate must be turned in. If you are unable to return the plate you must submit a completed TC 96-167 form
- The fees are as follows:
- Title Only Fee: $9.00
- Speed Title Only Fee: $25.00
- For Kentucky dealerships and lending institutions, the plate may remain with the vehicle if requested. The fees are:
- Title Fee: $17.00
- Speed Title Fee: $33.00
- If the plate is no longer on the vehicle, but you would like a plate, you must submit at TC 96-167 Form with the additional fee of $6.00 (if registration has not expired).
To find the forms you need, please visit: Forms Library – Vehicles.