Angle Down Calendar Calendar Checkmark Circle Clock Comment Facebook Folder Instagram List Search Sort Tag Twitter

Marriage License


The general requirements are as follows:

  1. The couple must apply for the license in person together.
  2. Both must be 18 years old or older.
  3. There is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.
  4. The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
  5. The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
  6. Both must present an acceptable form of ID, such as a drivers’s license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card.
  7. There is a $35.50 (cash only) fee for the license.

Marriage with person under age 18

The following requirements must be met prior to issuing a marriage license if either party is under 18:

  1. Must be 16 years of age. Neither party under 16 may be issued a marriage license without an order from the District Court. A female must be pregnant before the court will issue an order.
  2. A female minor must make application in the county of her parent’s residence, but can get married in another county after she has completed the requirements for the license.
  3. A Consent to Marriage Form (84-FCC-501) is required. This must be completed, witnessed, signed by the parent or legal guardian* of the minor, and sworn by the deputy clerk. (A guardian must bring the document affirming guardianship).
  4. One parent or legal guardian* and two witnesses 18 years old or older, must sign the Consent to Marriage Form for each minor.
  5. If the parents of either minor are divorced, custody papers are required to sign the Consent to Marriage Form.
  6. Birth Certificate or Drivers License

*Legal guardian must have full guardianship.

NOTE: Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Frequently Asked questions

Q: Do I need to make an appointment to get a marriage license?
A: No. We are open Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 4:30. You need to apply in room 104.

Q: Do you need a Kentucky ID to get a Marriage License?
A: We accept any government issued ID.

Q: Who may solemnize a marriage?
A: Ministers or priests in regular communion with any religious society; Judges, county judges/executive, justice of the peace; A religious society that has no minister and who solemnizes marriages at the usual place of worship, if either party belongs to the society. KRS chapter 402 has further information concerning marriage license laws.

Q: Do ministers need to be bonded?
A: No. The law that required this was repealed in 1994.

Q: If we are getting married in another state, where can we get the license?
A: You need to get the license in the state where you are getting married. The license we issue must be used in Kentucky.

Q: We got married out of the country, do we need to register it in your office?
A: No. The country where you got married should send you its official certificate. The County Clerk’s office only records licenses that it issues.

Q: How do I change my name after I get married?
A: You will need to take the certified copy marriage license that we mail to you to the social security office first and wait at least 1 day before changing driver’s license.

Q: Do I have to change my name?
A: No, but you still need to inform the social security office of your marital status.

Q: Where do I obtain copies of divorce records?
A: At the Circuit Courthouse.

Q: Do I need to bring my divorce papers?
A: No. You need to bring your government issued ID.