The County Burning Ordinance can be found under Title IX: General Regulations; Chapter 91: Fire Prevention; Section 91.03.
Anyone requesting to burn anything other than leaves and having less than one (1) acre of ground are required to obtain a burn permit from the Daviess County Fire Department. Permits are FREE and may be issued for two (2) weeks.
Disposal by burning is illegal in Daviess County. Burning garbage poses a health risk to both the natural environment and human beings alike.
The following are just a handful of regular items are illegal to burn:
Home & Farm
- Animal Bedding
- Muck Piles (Horse Manure/Hay)
- Grass Clippings
- Agricultural Plastic
- Chemical Containers
- Coated Wire
- All wood building material
- Fence Posts
- Wood Mulch
- Painted, Stained or Pressure-Treated Wood
- Construction Debris
- Renovation Debris
- Asbestos Materials
For information on what can and cannot be burned, contact the Division for Air Quality of the Department for Environmental Protection.
Contact information can be found inside this brochure.
For additional information on open burning, please visit the Division for Air Quality’s website @ http://air.ky.gov/Pages/OpenBurning.aspx
Alternatives to Burning:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Do not burn too close to any building or area that might endanger the public health and safety.
- Never burn under any tree or power lines.
- All fire should be closely monitored and never left unattended.
FOREST PROTECTION LAWS
During fire seasons, it is illegal to burn anything within 150 feet of any woodland or brush land between the hours of 6am to 6pm.
- Spring Forest Fire Hazard Season February 15th – April 30th
- Fall Forest Fire Hazard Season October 1st – December 15th
Forest protection laws place the primary responsibility of protecting Kentucky’s forestland on the Division of Forestry. Some of the areas covered by this law include: fire hazard seasons, collection of fire suppression costs, authority of forest wardens, collection of timberland assessment and wild land arson.
If you have any questions, call the Daviess County Fire Department @ 270-685-8440.
To Report Illegal Burning: 1-888-BURN-LAW
Having trouble opening PDFs? Download Adobe Reader here.