If the original Motor Vehicle or Boat Certificate of Title has been lost, stolen, or mutilated you may apply for a duplicate title. The duplicate title will void any title previously issued in the state of Kentucky.
- The current owner of the vehicle must apply for duplicate title.
- If your name has changed since the title was issued, for identification purposes only, please attach a copy of the legal document authorizing the name change, i.e. copy of marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court documents. The name cannot be changed in duplicate title process.
- If owner is deceased, Probate or Trust papers along with a death certificate must be provided to the Clerk’s Office at time of application. The petitioner, executor, or trustee must be the person making application.
- If application is being signed by a Power-of-Attorney, the Clerk’s Office must be provided a copy of the signed POA papers at time of application.
If the application is being applied for in person in the Daviess County Clerk’s Office, the owner, or person signing for the owner, must appear with a valid picture I.D. A $2.00 notary fee is charged for each signature.
Processing time: Please allow 3 to 4 business days after receipt of application for processing. If there was a lien on the vehicle and the loan has been paid off, contact our office to see if the lien has been released. If the loan has been paid in full, but the lien has not been released by our office, you must obtain a Title Lien Statement TC96-187E from your lien holder. A security interest (lien holder) may be added by noting it in the proper area of the application.
Note: A Title Lien Statement TC96-187E must be completed at the time of application. There is a $22.00 lien filing fee.
Accepted methods of payment are cash, money order, personal checks and cashier’s check. MasterCard, Visa and Discover are also accepted. Out-of-state checks are not accepted. If application is made in person, a valid picture ID is required for acceptance of personal checks.
If you have any questions regarding this information, you may call 270-685-8434 Ext 1.
Daviess County Clerk’s Office
Attn: Titling Dept
P O Box 609
Owensboro, Kentucky 42302-0609
Attn: Titling Dept.
212 Saint Ann Street
Owensboro, Kentucky 42302
How to obtain a Duplicate Title
- Complete a Motor Vehicle Application of Title TC96-182 or Motor Boat Transaction Record TC96-184. (The applications are also available at our office.) If ordering a boat duplicate title, you must also have Form TC96-167 completed and notarized.
- On the application you must complete the Vehicle/Boat Information Section and Owner/Buyer information. Signature must be notarized.
- Mail the completed Motor Vehicle Application or Motor Boat Transaction Record (include TC96-167 – boats only) along with $6.00 for each duplicate title requested to the Daviess County Clerk.