The arctic front will drop temperatures below 0 with the risk for frozen water pipes.
William Higdon is General Manager of the Daviess County Water District. He offers important tips to protect your home during the deep freeze.
- Let water run at a low drip from the faucet until temperatures improve.
- DO NOT remove the water meter lid as the box will lose ground warmth.
- For homes with water heaters in the garage – do not leave the door open.
- Open kitchen cabinets to allow heat to circulate.
- Disconnect all hoses from outside faucets or they will freeze.
- Mobile homes should have underpinning, heat tape, or insulation on water lines.
- Call your water provider if you have a freeze-up.