Conversation: Facing Homelessness in Daviess County
A discussion on homelessness in Owensboro – Daviess County with Judge-Executive Al Mattingly, Owensboro Mayor Tom Watson, EMA Director Andy Ball, and Harry Pedigo with St. Benedict’s Shelter and the Homeless Council of the Ohio Valley.
White Flag Warming Shelter – Information
According to the National Weather Service, White Flag criteria (15ºF or lower air temperature and/or wind chill) will likely be met tonight (February 4, 2021) and Saturday night (February 6, 2021).
White Flag may also occur Tuesday and Wednesday nights (February 9 & 10, 2021); notification will be sent Monday, February 8, 2021, if White Flag criteria will be met.
The Daniel Pitino (501 Walnut St, Owensboro, KY) and St. Benedict’s (1001 W 7th St, Owensboro, KY) homeless shelters may not currently be at capacity. If capacity is exceeded during this impending cold weather event, Owensboro Christian Church (OCC) will be open as a warming center, offering bedding from 6:30 P.M. to 8:00 A.M.
If a warming center is required, the following transportation options are available:
- Provided from the Daniel Pitino Shelter to Owensboro Christian Church at 6:00 P.M. each White Flag night.
- Owensboro Transit System bus route: FREE for White Flag shelterees (two bus stops near Owensboro Christian Church)
- May self-transport to the warming shelter anytime 6:30 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. White Flag nights. The White Flag shelter entrance will be between OCC entrances “C” and “D” on the New Hartford Rd side.
Families, women and/or children should contact the Daniel Pitino Shelter (270-688-9000) and men should contact St. Benedict’s (270-541-1003) to inquire if the warming center is in operation, or if there are available bed spaces within one of the existing shelters. Again, OCC will only be open if the homeless shelters are at full capacity. The Daniel Pitino Shelter will also be offering meals:
- Breakfast: 7:00 A.M. (at Daniel Pitino Shelter)
- Dinner: 5:30 P.M. (at Daniel Pitino Shelter)
Due to COVID-19, all protective measures (social distancing, masks, handwashing, quarantine) will be strictly enforced. There is an area pre-designated for quarantine if required.
Please contact Daviess County EMA Director Andy Ball (270-685-8448) with further questions.