Daviess County Fiscal Court has proclaimed September 8, 2023 as Theatre Workshop of Owensboro Day.
The proclamation coincides with the opening of the 60th season and the production of ‘NIGHT, MOTHER at Trinity Centre.
For ticket information, call (270) 683-5333 or visit https://www.theatreworkshop.org/.
Theatre Workshop History
In September 1955, Lawrence Hager brought together fellow theater enthusiasts Walter Lazenby and Maxine Compton and the group evolved into “Little Theatre of Owensboro.”
Theatre Workshop, Inc. was officially incorporated on November 30, 1955. The first play, ‘The Man Who Came to Dinner,’ debuted on December 1, 1955 at Eastern Junior High School.
After disbanding in 1959, members of the group reunited for the Festival of Arts in 1967 and the company reformed as Theatre Workshop of Owensboro in 1968.
Plays were held in high school auditoriums, the Rudd Hotel basement, and the National Guard Armory until the Old Trinity Centre became its permanent home in 1972.
Theatre Workshop expanded in 2011 with the purchase of the Empress Theatre.