Angle Down Calendar Calendar Checkmark Circle Clock Comment Facebook Folder Instagram List Search Sort Tag Twitter
Cabins at Pioneer Village in Yellow Creek Park

Historical Notes

Late 1800S – mid 1900s
  • 1876-Pleasant Grove School (currently located at Panther Creek Park) was located on KY HWY 56; behind what was to  be Pleasant Grove Baptist Church (Church constructed on ground originally donated by JP Crabtree)
  • 1919-Rosenwald School (currently located at Yellow Creek Park) originally built on KY HWY 764 in Pleasant Ridge, KY.
  • 1936- Rosenwald School closes / Students attending schools in rural communities in Daviess County were consolidated with African-American schools in the city of Owensboro.
  • 1937- Pleasant Grove School closed upon completion of Sorgho Consolidated Elementary School
  • 9/13/50- Riverside Estes subdivision established (currently located on KY HWY 144); lots 85 & 86 dedicated to Daviess   County Fiscal Court for the use of a playground for new neighborhood residents. (Currently maintained as Redbud           Park)
1970s
  • 4/74- University of Kentucky College of Agriculture develops Thruston Community Park Plans, later to be known as         Yellow Creek Park.
  • 4/10/74- John Stone agrees to sell 59.77 acres of land behind the Thruston School, located on KY HWY 144, to Daviess County Fiscal Court for the total sum of $80,000. (Thruston Community Park – later to be known as Yellow Creek            Park)
  • 6/74- Developmental Cost Analysis of Thruston Community Park developed; grand total of $218,443.00
  • 6/28/74 – Land Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) grant received for Yellow Creek Park development $110,083.42
  • 5/21/76 – LWCF grant received for  Masonville Community Park $11,842.83
  • 11/77- Little Hurricane Boat Ramp Completed
  • 5/20/78 – Yellow Creek Park ribbon cutting for 60 acres of land purchased from the Bill Stone Estate. Funds from             Bureau for Outdoor Recreation Grant and Daviess County Fiscal Court totaled $200,000.
  • 8/16/79 – LWCF grants received for Burns Park $70,779.86; Utica Park $17,063.81
1980s
  • 3/21/80 – LWCF grant received for Stanley Park $12,674.12
  • 3/26/80 – LWCF grant received for West Louisville Park $10,218.99
  • 6/30/80 – LWCF grant received for Yellow Creek Park $10,048.48; Knottsville Park $10,053.50
  • 7/30/80 – LWCF grant received for Daviess County Parks – $25,547.49
  • 2/6/81 – LWCF grant received for Yellow Creek Park – $48,366.13
  • 4/15/81- Daviess County Park Board (DCPR) mulls future of Yellow Creek Park Lake. (M&I article)
  • 1983 – DCPR won 1st place in “Parks and Recreation Programming” / “Certificate of Excellence in Parks and                   Recreation Facility Rehabilitation”
  • 9/4/84- 24.57 acres added to Yellow Creek Park Nature Center for the amount of $55,000.
  • 9/24/84 – LWCF grant received for Yellow Creek Nature Trail – $63,957.60
  • 1984 – Yellow Creek Park received a “Certificate of Excellence Award”
  • Spring 1985- Iron bridge installed at Yellow Creek Park across tributary of Yellow Creek
  • 1985 – $30,456 National Park Service grant received – Yellow Creek Park Nature Center development / “Certificate of     Excellence in Parks and Recreation Programming” / 2nd place in “Parks and Recreation Facility Rehabilitation”
  • 1986 – 2nd Place for “Parks and Recreation Facility Rehabilitation” / 1st Place “KRPS Outstanding Department”
  • 1987 – “Frog Pond” constructed in Yellow Creek Park Nature Area
  • 4/3/87- 26.419 acres added to Yellow Creek Park Nature Center for $55,000.
  • 6/17/87 – LWCF grant received for Yellow Creek Park Addition – $24,549.50
  • 12/17/87- LWCF pre-application submitted for West Park project (to be eventually named Panther Creek Park) for           property acquisition $60,000.
  • 3/31/88 – DCFC approved Park for west Daviess County, Panther Creek Park is born
  • 4/21/88- DCFC selected to receive LWCF Grant in the amount of $45,000
  • 4/22/88- Deed recorded for West Park Project for the sum of $215,000 containing 108.56 acres
  • 5/1/88- Dr. Alton Little (WKU) was requested for assistance with layout and design proposal for West Park project.
  • 6/9/88- Kentucky Heritage Council reports that West Park property is not eligible for listing in the National Registry of       Historic Places.
  • 8/23/88 – LWCF grant funds received for new Panther Creek Park – $46,989.93
  • 10/88 – Yellow Creek Park receives 70 foot fire tower from Indian Hill Rd. in Hancock County
  • 11/29/88- US Senator Wendell Ford has contacted CSX transportation officials to help locate used railroad tracks for       elevated West Park trails
  • 12/7/88- DCFC formally names West Park Project, “Panther Creek Park”. Motion by Commissioner Ebelhar and second by Commissioner Warren and all concurred out of 54 possible names.
  • 12/14/88-LWCF pre-application submitted for Panther Creek Park phase 2 for the amount of $40,000. This includes the   walking trail, parking lots, and five acre lake.
  • 1988 – Yellow Creek Park finalizes two covered bridges and completed last section of nature center trail
  • 1/12/89- Brandstetter-Carroll Inc. submits site design plan for Panther Creek Park totaling $2,615,900.
  • 1/25/89 – CSX donated used rails, valued at $24,000, for elevated trails at PCP
  • 4/1/89 – Debbie Zielinski introduces park’s “Safety Squirrel” mascot
  • 4/28/89- Col. Algernon S. Thruston historical marker dedicated, Thruston, KY (KY HWY 144)
  • 6/19/89- Parks Department formally request from ASA national office latest publications on current specifications for       softball fields at Panther Creek Park
  • 8/89 – Yellow Creek Park hosted Daviess County Babe Ruth All Stars, Little League Area All Star and ASA 19 and           under girls state finals as well as the ASA Midwest Regional Games
  • 1989 – Tourist Commission gives DCFC $50,000 for construction of new Panther Creek Park
1990s
  • 3/5/90 – Panther Creek Park receives the Governor’s “Award for Excellence in Parks and Recreation Rehabilitation”
  • 6/11/90- Baxter-Martin, PSC recommends construction of a wetland sewage treatment system for Panther Creek Park.
  • 3/91 – Water sewage treatment plan for Panther Creek Park is approved by the state Cabinet for Human Resources,       Division of Local Health
  • 2/13/92 – DCPR receives the 1st place award for “Excellence in Parks for Handicapped Accessibility” Category for           Panther Creek Park Nature Trails
  • April 20, 1992 – Panther Creek Park Ribbon Cutting, 10:30 AM (agenda on file)
  • 6/19/92 – LWCF grants received for Panther Creek Park – $23,000.00
  • 4/10/1992 – Panther Creek Park Elevated Trails received the “Enjoy Outdoors America” Award, from the US Department of the Interior, first trail in America to receive this award
  • Summer 1992 – Relocation of the Rosenwald School to Yellow Creek Park using funds from the Bicentennial Grant
  • 10/92 – Panther Creek Park has donated fire tower set up, tower came from Cloverport, KY
  • 12/92 – Bridge over Clear Creek at Panther Creek Park was installed (the bridge was originally located on Windy Hill       Road)
  • 12/27/92 – 83 year old Rosenwald School at Yellow Creek Park officially dedicated (the building was obtained from         Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church and moved to the park)
  • 6/21/93- Fiscal Court purchases Stanley School property on US HWY 60 for the amount of $79,000.
  • 8/93 – Trail of Trees at Panther Creek Park established
  • 9/93 – Covered walking bridge at Panther Creek Park complete
  • 1993 – Panther Creek Park trails wins award for accessibility – 1st Place Gov. “Award for Excellence in Parks and            Recreation” for making the park accessible to the handicapped
  • 1994 – Yellow Creek Park parking lot built on top of dam at lake
  • January 94 – Light poles at Panther Creek Park erected for ball diamonds
  • 5/12/94 – Lake at Panther Creek Park opens officially to the public
  • 5/14/94 – Solar-powered fountain celebrates formal starting
  • Summer 94 – Whispering Wind and Feather Landing Shelters at Panther Creek Park are completed, 2 concrete bridges were set in place across lake
  • 11/25/95- Ribbon cutting celebration “Swinger” swinging bridge at Panther Creek Park @ 11:30am.
  • 1995 – Cabooses are moved to parks
  • 2/95 – Fishing dock at Yellow Creek Park constructed
  • 5/95 – Barn at Yellow Creek Park destroyed by fire (nature center area)
  • 9/95 – Work to begin on soccer fields at Panther Creek Park South
  • 10/95 – Park’s received a matching grant from the Kentucky African American Heritage Commissioner for Rosenwald     School at Yellow Creek Park
  • 10/25/95 – DCFC cuts ribbon on “Swinger” bridge complete with two water fountains made of creek stone (Panther         Creek Park)
  • 7/96 – Rosenwald School at Yellow Creek Park restoration nearing completion
  • 9/96 – Panther Creek Park becomes home to a one room school house originally built in 1876 knows as Pleasant Grove School. Restoration work cost $40,384.00
  • 10/96 – Fire tower caged in for safety at Panther Creek Park
  • 10/27/96 – Open house was hosted at Yellow Creek Park for Rosenwald School
  • 1997 – KY Heritage Land Conservation Grant was received for purchase of additional acreage at Yellow Creek Park       Nature Center
  • 4/98 – Yellow Creek Park obtains from CSX “Pullman Troop Sleeper” used in WWII to transport troops
  • 8/1/98 – Panther Creek Park South ribbon cutting to formally open 5 new walking trails.
  • 8/98 – Parks announces $10,000 National Recreation Trails Fund grant for elevated trails in Panther Creek Park South
  • 10/18/98 – Pleasant Grove School officially opens at Panther Creek Park with more than 100 former students in               attendance (project coordinator Carrie Kuegel)
  • 1999 – 18-hole disc golf opens at Yellow Creek Park
  • 8/14/99 – Recreational Trails Program grant received, $20,000 PCP to connect existing trails in the park
  • 1999 – Commissioner Lambert began lobbying for a long range master plan (completed in 2001)
2000 – Present
  • 2000 – Commissioner Jim Lambert helped to establish a “full time salary structure” for all county employees
  • 6/2000 – Pullman Trooper Sleeper car at Yellow Creek Park dedicated
  • 11/7/00 – Ribbon cutting for the 208’ suspension bridge at Panther Creek Park over Panther Creek “Debbie’s Dream       Catcher”
  • 2001 – Metal Halide lights at Yellow Creek Park tennis courts installed
  • 2001 – Commissioner Mike Riney established “Community Playground Assistance” fund of $1500 per playground
  • 3/28/01 – Pioneer Village at Yellow Creek Park begins with two cabins being donated to Fiscal Court.
  • 4/23/01 – Resolution 4-2001; Fiscal Court establishes Log Cabin restoration program.
  • 5/01- Observation deck at Yellow Creek Park Frog Pond built and dedicated
  • 7/01 – Commissioner Lambert initiated board action on Green belt connector trail through Lake Forest Subdivision and the development of a new 150 acre park in the county’s central division
  • 8/28/01 – Log Barn in Pioneer Village at Yellow Creek Park under construction
  • 9/27/01 – Log Cabin construction LLC paid $16,850.00 for log barn construction. (Built around 1870 by Samuel Davis)
  • 2001 – Completed joint City/County Parks 10 year Master Plan
  • 12/06/01- Log Cabin construction LLC paid $16,897.00 for small cabin construction.
  • 12/01 – First log cabin AND log barn are complete in Pioneer Village
  • 1/02 – Commissioner Lambert initiates conversation regarding a Christmas lights program at Panther Creek Park
  • 8/27/02- DCFC receives Potts family cabin from Richard and Joyce Edwards of 1125 Griffith Ave. (Cabin originally           located on Settles Rd.)
  • 8/28/02 – LWCF grant received for Yellow Creek Park – $61,950.00
  • 2002 –Yellow Creek Park Spray Park installed / Small Gazebo donated at Panther Creek Park / Fishing dock                   constructed at Panther Creek Park
  • 1/7/03 – Yellow Creek Park expanded to 152.5 acres by purchasing 33 acre tract (where ROMP is hosted); $128,000
  • 5/15/03 – Received approval from Fiscal Court to install two transformers at Panther Creek Park for the Christmas at       Panther Creek Light show
  • 7/3/03 – First Fireworks Show at Panther Creek Park, “Family Freedom Fireworks Festival”
  • 7/15/03 – Kuegel Corner property acquired at Panther Creek Park – 15.588 acres (Kuegel family money was not used for this acquisition – future family contributions allowed for naming of property)
  • 8/1/2003 – Spray Park at Yellow Creek Park opens
  • 10/15/03 – Horse Fork Creek Park property purchased (62 acres)
  • 10/18/03 – Ross Leigh named Director of Daviess County Parks and Recreation
  • 11/28/03 – First “Christmas at Panther Creek” begins
  • 12/31/2003 – Debbie Zielinski retires as Park Director after 27 years
  • 2003 – Small Gazebo donated at Panther Creek Park by Sharon Crowe in memory of Joseph Leonard Peak
  • 2004 – Daviess County Operations Center Opens – housing new Parks and Recreation administrative offices
  • Fall 2007 – Horse Fork Creek Park dedicated
  • 2009 -2010 16 acre James E. Kuegel Corner at Panther Creek Park developed
  • 1/12/09 – Blackford Creek Park area (77.685 acres acquired) off Chestnut Grove Road and Kelly Cemetery Road
  • 9/6/11 – 3002 Fairview Drive (Thompson Warehouse) purchased ($125,000)
  • 10/14 – Hurricane Island property purchased by DCFC (20.87 acres)
  • June 2016 – Iron bridge over Clear Creek at Panther Creek Park replaced with modern concrete structure
  • June 2016 – Covered bridge at Yellow Creek Park replaced with concrete structure (located closest to Reid Road)
  • December 2016 – divider installed into James E. Kuegel shelter at Panther Creek Park to create Kuegel North and Kuegel South